State officials from the Kansas Department of Commerce, the Department of Labor, and the Kansas Board of Regents will visit six communities across Kansas to promote the state’s effort to build a certified, highly qualified workforce for business and industry in the state.
“The Brownback Administration has launched an initiative to help ensure that Kansas businesses have a skilled, highly qualified workforce,” said Kansas Commerce Secretary Pat George. “This is an effort supported by industry leaders, workforce stakeholders and postsecondary education institutions across the state.”
State officials, industry representatives and community leaders will come together in each city to promote the use of industry endorsed credentials especially in high demand occupations.
Businesses are encouraged to reward, request or recognize industry credentials to standardize the skills and talent workers bring to the labor market.
The tour is an extension of the Kansas Skills Summit led by Gov. Sam Brownback on Oct. 29 in Wichita.
WHAT/WHO: The Kansas Skills Tour, featuring Kansas Commerce Secretary Pat George, Interim Labor Secretary Lana Gordon, Deputy Labor/Commerce Secretary Michael Copeland, and Kansas Board of Regents Vice President of Workforce Development Blake Flanders. Industry representatives from companies in the various communities also will participate and lend their leadership to this initiative.
WHEN/WHERE: The tour will visit the following businesses and cities:
• 8 a.m. – Salina – Exide Technologies, 413 East Berg Road, Salina, Kan. 67401 (new conference training room).
• 10 a.m. – Norton – Natoma Corp., 16596 East Highway 36, Norton, Kan. 67654 (lunch room).
• Noon – Hutchinson – Hutchinson Regional Medical Center, 1701 E. 23rd Ave., Hutchinson, Kan. 67502 (Pavilion Gym).
• 2:30 p.m. – Winfield – Newell Rubbermaid, 3415 East 12th Ave., Winfield, Kan. 67156 (auditorium).
• 4:15 p.m. – Pittsburg – Crossland Construction – hosted by Pittsburg State University, Kansas Technology Center, 909 E. Ford, Pittsburg, Kan. 66762 (Room S-102).
• 9 a.m., Lenexa – Trane, 8014 Flint, Lenexa, Kan. 66214 (large training room).
MEDIA NOTES: Reporters are asked to RSVP to Dan Lara, public information officer, at email@example.com, (785) 296-3760, or Matt Keith, communications assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 296-4931.