The Kansas Department of Commerce Office of Minority and Women Business Development is accepting nominations for Kansas minority and/or women owned businesses, advocates, young entrepreneurs and corporations. These nominations celebrate Minority Enterprise Development (MED) Week, and nominees will be recognized at the annual Kansas Minority and Women Business Awards Luncheon to be held on Oct. 8 at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Topeka.
“MED Week honors minority owned businesses and individuals who have made exemplary contributions to their industries and our economy,” Kansas Commerce Secretary Pat George said. “Celebrating the critical role that these businesses play in hiring Kansas workers and growing the Kansas economy is extremely important.”
The deadline to nominate a business or individual is Monday, July 8. Online nomination forms can be accessed at KansasCommerce.com/MEDweek. To request a hard copy of the form, please contact Rhonda Harris at email@example.com or (785) 296-3425. All forms submitted by mail must be postmarked by July 8. Forms can be mailed to Rhonda Harris, Office of Minority and Women Business Development, Kansas Department of Commerce, 1000 S.W. Jackson St., Suite 100, Topeka, Kan., 66612; faxed to (785) 296-3490; or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office of Minority and Women Business Development provides assistance in business management, identifying resources for financing and establishing contacts in the public and private sectors. The office is responsible for certifying minority- and women-owned businesses as small disadvantaged businesses for procurement and subcontracting opportunities.
(List of 2012 winners follows)
2012 Women-Owned Businesses of the Year
• Tenoch Construction - Fairway (Construction Firm) • S and Y Industries, Winfield (Manufacturing Firm) • Earles Engineering & Inspection, Inc. - Salina (Professional Service Firm) • Bling, Inc. - Scott City (Retail Firm) • Hays Academy of Hair Design - Hays (Service Industry Firm) • American Energy Products, Inc. - Lansing (Supplier/Distributor Firm)
2012 Minority-Owned Businesses of the Year
• Oliver Construction - Wichita (Construction Firm) • Forever Yours Glass Etchings - Olathe (Manufacturing Firm) • FSC, Inc. - Overland Park (Professional Service Firm) • Signs By Tomorrow/The Corona Group, Inc. - Overland Park (Retail Firm) • Athena Communications - Overland Park (Service Industry Firm)• Technology Group Solutions, LLC - Lenexa (Supplier/Distributor Firm)
2012 Women Business Advocate
• Jene' Popper Hong, Barton Nelson, Inc. - Kansas City, Missouri
2012 Minority Business Advocate
• Patsy Stuke, American Osage Consulting Inc. - Lenexa
2012 Young Entrepreneur
• Curtis Smart, Kaleb Berry, Kenan Meadows and Joseph Belcher, Jr., www.kcteenlink.org - Kansas City
2012 Corporation of the Year
• Kansas Entertainment, LLC - Kansas City